- The Power of a Church Adoption Fund August 15, 2017 - 0 comments
- How to Teach Your Kids to Care for the Fatherless August 11, 2017 - 0 comments
- How Your School Can Reach Orphaned & Vulnerable Children August 9, 2017 - 1 comment
Student Life Homes
Lifesong Zambia | Providing a Firm Foundation for Discipleship, Higher Education and Transition
Zambia’s Student Life Homes are providing a safe environment for the students in the freshman class, giving them a place where they can thrive. The Student Life Program has started with 2 homes for the current freshman class, and will eventually ramp up to 13 homes for 125 students.
“When I was living in the compound, my life was not good. My mom was drinking and when she would drink she treated me bad and gave me beatings. Now that I am living at Lifesong my life is very good, I give thanks to God.”
—David, Age 16, 6th Grade
Since 2007, Lifesong has been providing education, feeding programs, medical care and discipleship to students in Garneton, Zambia. Each year the number of students grow, and as a high school is being added, the total number of students is estimated to reach 400+ by 2017.
Currently many of our students live in the local village (also known as the compound) with extended family or caregivers. The daily living environment within the local village is not conducive for discipleship and life change.
These homes will provide opportunities and benefits such as:
- Removing students from the negative influences of village life (physical & sexual abuse, alcoholism and forced child labor).
- Allowing greater discipleship through extended hours of time with kids.
- Promoting an optimal learning environment ( electricity, running water and prepared food.
- Providing a positive, primary influence through Lifesong staff/mentors.
Discipleship Vision and Program:
Individual Mentorship Weekly: Mentored by Student Life Leaders.
House Worship: Nightly time of devotions, prayers and worship.
Community Church: Attend Church in the community on Sunday.
Life in Action: Intentional Missions outreach to the community & Zambia at large.
5 Year Discipleship Development: Firm foundations, character, apologetics, etc
Life-skills Training: Development of financial management, cooking, repairs and construction, etc.
Capital Budget Projections ($37,500/home x 13 homes + start-up): Total Capital Cost $512,500
Operational Budget Projections ($9,000/home/yr): Total Operating Cost $261,000
Total Student Life Homes Projected Cost $773,500
Current Teacher House Improvements $15,000
New Teacher Housing ($45,000/house x 3) $135,000
Sports Field $50,000
Buses ($35,000/bus x 2) $70,000
Additional Vehicles ($30,000/van x 2) $60,000
Total Projected Cost $1,103,500
Ways to Get Involved
- Pray for God’s blessing on the first two homes. Pray for the house parents, their families and the students who will be the first to live in these homes. Thank Him for this opportunity we are able to give to impact the future leaders of Zambia!
- Donate to the Student Life Project
- Sponsor a Child in Zambia
January 2015: Move in day!
September 2014: The first two homes are nearing completion.